For years I had heard that Fess Parker graduated from San Angelo High School in the 40's. I decided to do a google on him and found that yes he did graduate from Angelo and went to Hardin-Simmons for awhile then on to UT. Said he played football in high school and my guess he play about a year or two before they won the State Championship using the single wing offense, and beat Doak Walker and Bobby Lane at Highland Park on the way to State game.
Here is an interesting interview where Fess shares a good bit about acting in the 50/60's and working for Disney and missing out on some big roles. Seems Walt Disney held Fess back a good bit:
Interview with Fess Parker
Also here is Fess Parker's webpage:
Fess Parker Webpage
On another note........worked in the backyard yesterday and got the second third of the yard raked and mowed and watered. Took a break this evening from it to help Tim Davenport (an Engineering Physics student at TTU and that works in the summer with Steve and me) with some of his quantum mechanics homework. I know this will sound strange but I really miss quantum.
I will work on the other third of the yard tomorrow. Need to get some fertilzer down soon too. Hopefully get the swing set in the ground sometime this week.
On another other note: Was watching the "Dirty Jobs" show on Discovery. It is amazing what horse farms do to bred horses. The whole collection and insemination (spell) process is a nasty dirty job. Wow. It is amazing some of the dirty jobs this guy does just for TV. Usually very interesting.
Now watching Quigley Down Under....what more can a guy want in a movie....a nice looking rifle and some great long range shooting.
4 comments:
Terry, I will take more time to read this in its entirety later, but a quick note.
Here in Fresno, a good good friend, Bruce Eads has cancer (leukemia in remission), but he hunted like no tomorrow for 37 years, and had to quit in 2000. He is about 61 or 62 now. In his office he has several Fess Parker autographed photos. Maybe Ive told you about him already. Seems they were good friends, and I think they may have hunted together. When he returns from Stanford University (for more tests now) I will ask more about him. Another quick note.........Bruces late dad, P.J. Eads was at one time (in the 50's & 60's) the biggest used car dealer in the San Joaquin Valley. He was also the first to use Television to advertise. And his famous cartoon ads featured a kid saying "Where ya goin' Davey?"....and the answer was a classic......." P----J----EADS!!!!" he would yell as he ran off the screen. The guy sold 200 cars a month for 25 years, and is still known to this day, for pioneering with those Davey Crockett ads, on the old black & white TV!
God Bless you and family Terry / John
Hey John,
That is neat story. Amazing how many cars he sold.
I am sorry to hear he has cancer. I pray it stays
in remission.
Thanks for dropping. I know you are not hooked
up as much as you used to be. Keep dropping notes off so I know you are doing well.
God Bless,
Terry
Last summer, I had a meeting with the director of the Porter Henderson Library, but he was late. When he finally got there, I found he was late because he was having lunch with Fess Parker. He won't say why he was meeting with Mr. Parker, but it probably had to do with The West Texas Collection. Apparently, he still visits San Angelo on a regular basis.
I had wondered if he still stayed in touch with Angelo. Hmmm. Interesting.
Post a Comment