Here is a good article on the Union Flag and how it is made up of three flags. When we went down to Portsmouth to visit the Naval Yard I had a chance to walk thru a Naval Yard exhibit while the girls were shopping. I found a display of how the Union Flag is constructed of three flags. The St. George cross (English) , the St. Andrew cross (Scottish), and the St. Patrick cross (Irish).
The link above shows how the flag is constructed and explains why though it is more commonly called the Union Jack flag that it is not really a jack. Then it tells what a Jack is and why it is used.
Interestingly enough the next day after Portsmouth I commented on how a St. George flag Gwen had out was just the St. George part of the Union Jack. I did this thinking I had told April the story but I guess I had only told Steve. So that comment struck a cord with April and she then realized that the Union flag is made up of three flags on her own. She was very excited to discover this. It is fun to learn all this cool stuff and that makes visiting other countries fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment