13 July 2006

A Bitterweed To Swallow - Tickle The Tongue

Bitterweed washes used to be pretty common sight when I was a kid in sheep country. Trucks going into this pasture or ranch had to be washed down to keep from transporting the weed/seeds into the pastures.



Sometimes these postings were accompanied with extra tall fences to keep other animals like deer from moving it into pastures.
Those tall fences are now associated more with the deer management industry and trophy deer/wild game hunting but there were times when they were setup to help with bitterweed transport.



Tickle Tongue was/is pretty common around the Sonora, TX area. Dad would always grab a leaf and start chewing on it for fun. Then handed me one so I could enjoy the tingling and numbing effect with him. :) It did not taste bad nor good just different.
For some reason there always seemed to be a wild persimmon bush nearby which was a weak spot for Dad. ;)







This did not even include Locoweed. I do not remember what locoweed looks like or even what color it is....white maybe purple. And no we did not taste it. ;)

No comments: