09 December 2006

Chutney


This was one of my favorite things about visiting England besides the Nolens of course. Chutney is a nice one-off from Jams and Marmite/Vegemite. Close to a Jam in texture and flavor but in general not as sweet but with a good bit of bite to it. Vinegary and spicy. Goes good with many meals beside breakfast.


These are the four jars/bottles that Gwen and April got me at Sansburys in Reading. Every nice so far. April the bottle of Mrs. Balls has an interesting history. It is the South African original not the worlds original. Here is a quote from Wiki:

In South Africa there is a traditional commercial variety that is made with dried fruit, Mrs Ball's Chutney. The use of dried fruit gives it a very distinctive flavour. The recipe was recently made available to the public.

I am not sure about the distinctive flavor since it tastes very much like preserves/jams. Not like the other chutneys who have a vinegar and spice flavor to them. It is good but one might as week get a jam of some kind. It does say on the top to shake well ... which is curious since it is as thick as a jam so I am not sure how to shake it...maybe it might taste more like a chutney if I could shake it. :)


I have not really looked for Chutney over here in the States but I am sure there is more than I would think if I looked. Our neighbor on Timber Ridge gave me a jar of Durango, CO chutney and it was very good but very very spicy. I imagine if I looked in Santa Fe I could find chutney no problem.

No comments: