28 August 2006

Following the All-Blacks Ain't Easy. Emily Story.

Following the All-Blacks can be hard to do in this country. One would think with the way instant communication is going and that you can get anything on the satellite then it would be easy to follow the ABs. Well not really. At least not actually watching it live. Oh one can pay for it but the cost is not as simple as wanting to watch rugby only. I would have to get Dish or the like and then have the service to watch Fox Soccer Channel then payperview for the rugby tests.

Anyway, the best I can do is go to a NZ website and hope for an audio feed and text commentary at least. So that is what I do. I have found that www.nzoom.com has both that is pretty good. I pull up the text commentary just to see stats and so forth. But I also fireup an audio feed which is NZ biased as heck but then that is ok. Sorta like when I listen to a Cowboys game on the radio...it is usually biased Dallas announcers like ex-Cowboy Babe Laflenburger (spell).

So the audio feed has an email address where you can send in comments to the announcers. I usually send them one saying thanks and they read off my name and location. Sorta fun to send an email to the other side of the world and in a minute or less they read off your name. :)

Well, Emily was up with me Saturday morning listening to the AB vs SA and so I sent in an email from her. Within about 30 seconds there was text on the text commentary with Emily's name. Pretty cool! See out take from the 69th minute of the test below. Then in about a minute or so they read off her name on the audio. Of course she was upset with me for putting her in the public spotlight. Hopefully she has forgiven me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
69 mins:
Emily Adams, thanks for the support! I love the All Blacks too, hope you are enjoying my unbiased commentary. We waste another few minutes trying to set a Springbok scrum and the referee is getting frustrated, giving away a penalty to the home side.

68 mins: The All Blacks' line-out throw is a shocker and the Springboks steal it easily. du Preez clears past halfway with a huge touch-finder.

67 mins: The luck goes in favour of the ABs as the Springboks are called for a shepherd.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another fun thing is to listen to the Kiwis and their accents. Emily thinks they are funny. One of my favorite expressions of the Kiwis is the line in the 68th minute. Shocker! Imagine that with a strong Kiwi accent (or say Scottish or Welsh accent.) Usually means awful or surprising. A real shocker.

Anyway, it was fun to listen to the test Sat. morning even if Emily got upset with her Dad.

Oh and the ABs won 45 to 26. They are 5-0 in the Tri-Nations with one test to go against SA again.

No comments: