
Though one of my absolute childhood favorite books (yes I can say I did have a favorite though I did not read much), I had forgotten about it until one day while walking through a bookstore in NZ. They had a brand new copy on their shelf.
I was surprised that I had forgotten about it until then. After that time I noticed it in bookstores more and more.
In 2001 I bought a new copy for Emily. And recently I pulled it out and looked inside it.
Turns out that it was first published in 1967 (about right) and then reissued (reprinted) in 1995 just about the time I was walking through the NZ bookstore. No wonder I noticed it more. :)
Elizabeth saw it today here by the computer and asked about it. I offered to read it to her. And she quickly said yes.
I have to say that some of the storyline is a bit disturbing to me now that I am reading it as a Dad. When I was a kid I noticed just the part about the digging and digging and undigging and undigging. But now I notice the parts where young boy owner and the other friend dogs turn their back on Duke for digging so out of control. I looked in the amazon reviews and yes there were at least two poor reviews who pointed this part out. Luckily I explained to Elizabeth what they were doing and it that it is wrong to behave in this way.
Sadly the book is now a bit of a disappointment due to this sad behavior of Duke's friends and the possible wrong message it might give a young kid. But it still brings back a lot of good memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment