01 April 2009

One Year Anniversary: Exercise

April 2nd will be my one year anniversary on exercising. No failed attempt to start. No starting and stopping. For one year I have regularly exercised and tried to eat in a healthier manner. The first two months saw me pull off twenty pounds, blood workup improve, and blood pressure go down. Then I cruised for about five months at the same weight and without a stop in exercise. Then the real tests came along.... illness, winter, holidays, etc. Yep I put on about 5-8 pounds. But I did not stop exercising.

What kind you ask? Jogging (3-5km once it took), riding a stationary bike, jumping rope, walking, and roller blading (though this has not kept up well). The jogging has been steady and my main vice for exercise. I do not try to run fast or far. Sometimes I do iterative training with faster bursts for one minute and walking for two minutes...either jogging or riding the bike. They are harder on me and my body. I tend to injury easier doing this so I have to warm up better and stretch better when doing this.

But tomorrow morning I will get up and take a jog where it all started...here in Angelo on spring break. Last year after a large meal I woke up with a sick stomach and could not sleep. So I made a pact with myself at 4am and did a jog for about one mile...walking and running and have been at it for a YEAR! I cannot remember doing this for this long at anytime since I left high school which was twenty-six years ago. This next year I want to go down about twenty more pounds and hope that I will stabilize in at about 200lbs even if I rebound a bit. I will of course have to count intake for once since the doctor said I got the first twenty for free so to speak. :)
Hopefully the whole family can attempt to make the next year an exercise year. ;)

My goal was to get healthier which I did. Not necessarily lose weight or follow a strict diet. Just start exercising and eating a bit better. Like cutting out sweets and fats where I could. Since I snack a lot then snack better....low fat and low sugar. Diet drinks, ice tea no sugar, water, puddings & yogurts with no added sugars, low fat cheeses, pickles, and veggies and so on. So the next step is do
even better this next year.

We will see. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: