12 July 2006

Crazy Like A Fox!

Yesterday, around 3pm, while pulling into Sudan, Texas I saw something flash across the road about 100yds in front of me. I could not see good cause the contacts I was wearing are an old pair. It just looked like a small dog flying across the road from my side to the other. I did not give it too much mind since I was so far off. But then I noticed it did not keep going on into the barditch but it turned and started running on the shoulder with the flow of the on coming traffic. And it was not slowing down a bit. No biggy it is on the other side of the road.

I started to say to Gwen, "what the heck is that dog doing" when it turned and started quartering toward my truck like it was going to play chicken with me from the oncoming traffic side. And it still had not slowed down. I start to slow down which I had to anyway pulling into a town. Then when it was about 20 yards from me it decides to turn across in front of me and head back into the my barditch. All this happened in just a matter of a couple of seconds. When it turns to cross in front of me I realized it is a red fox and I was hitting the brakes to really slow down now. I just did not know where it was going next but it hit the barditch and hightailed it into a overgrown parking lot and kept going. If it had cut it any closer I would have hit it.

It was one of the weirdest things I have seen before. It was broad daylight and a train was running parallel to us about 75yds across the road. There was lots of traffic and activity. It almost looked like the fox was running in a circle like my dog does in the back yard. Just had so much energy it did not know what to do but run and run in a circle. :) It may have been scared from the train blowing it horn or something....rabies maybe. Just weird.

It happened so fast that even if I could have seen better I am not sure I would have realized what was going on til crossed in front of me that last time.

It got my heart pumping that is for sure. It was a pretty fox too.

On another note we had a very nice visit with Mrs. Nolen when we came thru Clovis.

DB



No comments: