07 October 2006

It's all about my Girls

Seems every day my girls say and do things that brings me joy and I never have time to stop and share them here. Let's see if I can remember a few things to share.

Last week at school it seems that a teacher came in to Emily's third grade class to explain to them all about student council and wanted kids that were interested to volunteer their name to be voted on by their class. Emily thought student council sounded interesting and volunteered her name. Seems that her and a boy, Cody, in her class were voted into the student council! Wow.

During the day one of Emily's teachers called to let Gwen know that Emily was now on the student council and that the first meeting of the council was that same day after school for an hour. So Gwen had to wait til 4pm to go get Emily. Emily was excited and enjoyed the council meeting. They are planning on some activities that the students can do over the school year.
Then this week they had to report back to their class about what the student council talked about.

It goes without saying that Gwen and I are proud of Emily. We were surprised she volunteered to begin with but proud she did volunteer. She told us when she volunteered that she did not think she would get picked since she never gets picked for anything. But I am not sure that the opportunity to be picked has come up that much in her short school career. She is excited and seems to be enjoying doing this at school.
...........

Emily is also starting to get quite the sense of humor too. Yesterday morning when I was helping her get ready for school she was brushing her hair and looking for something to hold her hair up. As she was digging thru her box of hair things I thinking, "If I were you I would use a hair band." but it came out, "I would use a hair band." Without missing a beat and still looking down digging thru her box for some hair thingys she ever so calmly and dryly said, "I don't think you would look that good with a hair band Dad." Ouch! My own daughter nailed me with one of my typical comeback lines. She made me laugh. :)
...........

Now Elizabeth is just funny without knowing she is funny. The other day when we were eating a snack in the family room she had not quite finished her little chunks of cut cheese. While reclining in my Lazyboy I said to her several times Elizabeth, "Please finish your cheese" to which she did not do it. Finally I thought I would add to my request with some logic. So I said, "Elizabeth please finish your cheese so Dad does not want to have to throw it away."

She heard that and moved toward her plate and I thought she understood my logic...wow. She proceeded to pick up her plate and said, "I throw in trash" as she head toward the trash can! She decided that she would help her Dad out and throw it in the trash so Dad would not have to inconvenience himself and get up to throw it in the trash. :) We started laughing telling her ... no no. Guess we have to be careful with our words and be specific. ;)

..........

Now my last, but first, girl brought home a new bedroom set for our bedroom. It looks brand new and is beautiful. She picked it up as folks were delivering it to the VFW for a garage-like sale. I am amazed at the deal she got on it and how nice the bedroom set is.... Only Gwen would see it in the pick-up as they delivered it to the VFW then stop and ask how much they want for it. The folks never had to unload at the VFW...they just brought it straight to our house to unload it. I am actually pretty excited about it too.


Let's see it is college football gameday. UT-OU in the Cottonbowl. Undefeated Miz at Tech. Oh and of course for Tech ... last weeks last second victory over A&M is still buzzing. ;) Gotta love it. Tech is actually not very good this year as compared to previous years but it is still nice to beat A&M. Now if they could take out UT this year it would be nice.

We have to go get Emily this morning. She had a sleep over at the Schmidt's after we had dinner at their place. This is a long weekend due to Columbus Day. I really need them too. We are now about one month away from heading across the pond to Mother England. Guess we gotta start getting ready. :) I look forward to it and then I do not look forward to it. The traveling part I do not look forward to at all. With two kids and my legs it will be a long trip. But we will have the smiling faces of the Nolen's to look forward to though.

Well ALB is waking up and making noise. Guess I need to get her out of bed.

No comments: