28 October 2008

"No Worries"

Before our NZ adventure fourteen years ago, I had never really heard the expression "No Worries" used very much. If I had it was not often. But in NZ it seemed everyone used it in many occasions. If someone said, "thank you" then a "no worries" back at them was like your welcome. If something was not quite right then you might say, "no worries" so as to say it is good enough or no skin off my nose.

For reasons I cannot say why, I picked up this expression and have used it continually as part of my language. As time has gone by and in recent years I have noticed that more and more folks use this expression here in the States. A perfect example was tonight at AJs burger place the young lady doing the cooking answered me with a your welcome by saying, "no worries." Since I have noticed it used more I have been more sensitive to listening for it. I was surprised she used it.

Funny how our language changes and does so in a fairly fast timeframe. The ole, "No Worries, Mate" is stereotypical Aussie like in Crocodile Dundie but just the, "no worries" was not really part of that.

No comments: