22 May 2006

Long week end.

Emily went to a sleepover birthday part on Friday night. So we just had ALB and ourselves to deal with. :) Saturday we were prepared to go up to the lab for a celebration of 60yrs for the University of California running the lab and an open house of the new building there. But mainly to go to the new building.

Emily has been asking when there will be another family day at the lab. I am guessing not til she is grown but you never know. So I thought the opening of the new building would sorta have to do for her family day so to speak. It was a warm day and I just wanted to see the new building. Everything started at 9am and we could not leave until Emily got back from her sleepover at
10am. April and Steve called from the lab and let us know that the open house would not start til after 1pm and that the food was so so. So we decided not to go to the lab til after 1:30pm to see the new building. Of course we all got some visitor badges, which Emily enjoyed, and we made our way into the new building only to run into the Nolen's almost immediately coming of the elevators.

I was surprised how confined the new building is...with narrow hallways, unlike our present old building, and actually pretty small offices....much like our present old building. I found it hard to believe as compact as they made this big building that they still did not have enough office space to replace all the space in the older building. This was for sure a government operation. We easily found the area where our section is going to sit and I think our student Nate will be getting more office space then we are getting though his is a double office. Sorta weird.

It is a nice building but it sorta seems confined to me compared to other buildings at the lab.

We went home afterwards and I worked on the yard. Then we decided to check out all the bird's nest that live under our backporch in the light fixtures. Turns out we have about 8 nests and all but one has eggs or baby birds. I decided to leave them all until all the birds are hatched and gone. I may rue the day I did that. So until then the backporch will be not as useful since the birds like to leave droppings everywhere. So we just clean it as often as we can.

Sunday after church we had Joe Schmidt over and used the new grill to cook steaks, potatoes, and asparagus. Gwen did a great job cooking. I gather she called both grandma's to get help on preparing some of the food. I almost had to roll away from the table and take a nap right there on the floor. :)

Well we have to get ready for next weekend. School is out on Friday and Emily & ALB are coming with me to Texas to visit Grandma and to visit some places in Texas. Emily is very excited about the trip. I guess I will test my legs for the first time on a long trip. We will see how that goes.

Not much else to tell for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait...you're coming to Texas next weekend??? Darn, I got my dates confused and I was supposed to clean out the girls' room before you got here. Guess Em'll just have to sleep outside. Maybe we can make her a bed on top of my cats' litter box. I don't think it stinks too bad. =8^)