20 April 2008

Helen Keller

Recently a picture of Anne Sullivan and Helen Keller has surfaced that places them together at the earliest of any picture. Helen was eight years old at the time of the picture. I found it very interesting.

While cleaning my bookshelf yesterday I noticed I had a paperback copy of The Story Of My Life by Helen Keller first published in 1902. I pulled it down and started it. Right at the beginning I found two quotes that struck a cord.

It is with a kind of fear that I begin to write the history of my life.

Which is the first sentence of the book.

... though it is true that there is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his.

Which came on the heels of presenting a bit her genealogy.

Even at such a young age (~20yrs at the writing this book) she has a very interesting and beautiful way with words.

No comments: