
Today, with much encouragement expended, Emily reluctantly joined me on a quick bus trip to Sonora from San Angelo. A trip I took a few times to visit Grandma and GrandDad.
TK reminded me today that we took one together once. I vaguely remember it.
Here is a reminder of the Cold War. PAVE PAWS. A radar installation to watch the southern part of the USA from incoming missiles like from Cuba. I believe it is closed down but who knows. It is located between Christoval and Eldorado, Texas.
Here is Emily walking into Sonora from the Bus Stop. We had to cross the Devil's River Draw bridge which Dad help build (though it had been widened and such since then.Sorry to say we got off late from the terminal and Gwen took off to Sonora with Elizabeth a bit sooner than I had planned so they caught up with us at that Exxon. I had hoped for about an hour of walking into Sonora and to the court house. Oh well. We drove on into Sonora and visited the court house and ask for Joyce (a cousin) but she was at a doctors appointment which most ironically was in San Angelo. :) We walked around the court house square for a few minutes then headed for Sonora's Cemetery to visit Aunt Essie's resting spot since we had not been here since she passed away in Nov 2006 right before we left for England. I mentioned it to Elizabeth last week and she has not let go of the idea. She asked repeatedly when we would visit where Aunt Essie is dead. :)
Of course on the way out of the cemetery I drove by the No Name Grave of outlaw Will Carver. It is a simple head stone has a date on it and that is all. This maybe the first time, of many visits, that Emily caught onto this bit of cemetery history. She actually asked questions about it and how he died. "In a gun fight with the local sheriff of course", I told her. :) Really. Right here in Sonora itself. One of the Butch Cassidy's Wildbunch gang was killed in Sonora....wow!
No comments:
Post a Comment