The rest of the trip to Angelo from Lubbock was uneventful. I started listening to the Color Purple video back at Cline's Corner and it lasted me to Lubbock. The movie is a good bit easier to deal with than the book. Issues are inferred in the movie instead of detailed like the book.
When I left Lubbock I ran into more "West Texas rainstorms". There were a bunch of dust devils and the wind was killer. I had to stop and get gas in Post, TX. By the the temperatures seemed over 100F and the wind was no stop. While pumping the gas it felt like when you stand in a small kitchen next to the oven but with a fan blowing the heat over you. The wind in this case did not give any relief and maybe made the problem worse. It was stifling and hard to breath. And at times like these I wonder why I miss Texas so much. :)
One thing I noticed on this trip is that there is a trailer campground behind the Gas'N Grub at Colorado City. I had never noticed it before but I think it has been there a long time.
Now I know many say Texas driver's are terrible but I am never so sure of this belief. As always I found the roads with generous shoulders that West Texas drivers still use to help you pass on the highway. Often drivers still pull over on the shoulder, when it is safe of course, to encourage you to pass and so you can do so with a good view and safety. And when you have passed then just a quick wave in the rearview mirror is all it takes to say "Thanks!" and they wave back.
As Emily and Elizabeth learned back in April on Spring Break that in rual Texas places the drivers will give a quick wave to oncoming cars just out of habit. And if you give them a quick wrist wave from the stearing wheel they will wave back.
It may all be habit and no one cares about anyone else but I do not like to think like that. It just seems friendly to me and it puts a smile on my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment