24 June 2008

Horned Toad!

Yes! For what now has been probably 30-35yrs, I have lived in the absence of horned toads. There was a time when I was a kid that we found them on a regular basis. Then for years I have not seen one.

From a friend, who turns out to be a bit of horned toad aficionado, I learned that there are some in New Mexico but they are not the Texas brand of toads. Emily saw a toad last summer in the Jemez while camping with the Grahams. It was her first sighting.

Sunday while I was walking back from a target at the shooting range a horned toad ran out right in front of me. I was very excited. It was smaller than the Texas toads I remember and its head was a totally different shape than the Texas ones. Wish I had a camera.

Turns out that there are about eight different species of Horned Lizards in North America. Sorta interesting to learn about the different Horned Toads. There is a Horned Lizard Society too...so check it out.

4 comments:

M.E. said...

To Dad
I hope your having a good day at work I wish that i could of seen the horned toad.
From Emily

M.E. said...

Hi Dad
I hope your having a good day. I love you.
From Emily

Marcia said...

Oh, I wish I had seen the horned toad! I have never seen a live one before. I love that there is a horned lizard society. I will have to let my Elizabeth know about it. When she was at ISU she was a member of the ISU Herpetology Group and they did so much cool stuff. She would be interested in the horned toads. Now that she is in Chicago she has her 2 snakes but I have her four geckos and her iguana (he's a big guy). Maybe someday I will get to see a horned toad.

You are so lucky!
Marcia

Dr. Bubba said...

Hey Marcia,

Yea I think toads are a wonderful creature. We will have to work on getting you a live viewing. :)

BTW the girls got their packages but have not took the time to write a thank you. They are in Colorado now.
Until they write then I will say thanks for them. Thx!

Terry