16 November 2006

Oxford - Christ Church

Well we (The Adamses that is) got up a tad late today (Thursday). Steve got up feeling a bit better but a trip to the coast was not in order today. After slacking for a few hours Steve and I finally got around to visiting the Dunedin Hospital here for my blood tests. We found the place with little trouble and found it to be in a very beautiful old Victorian-like house. After a bit of resistance they said they could take my blood and my money (on credit card) and do the testing for my doctor to look at for me and send me dosage adjustments on my rat poison. They were very friendly but they had to actually draw blood from by arm since they do not have the testing equipment local. They either called or faxed the results to my doctor who told me I need to reduce my dosage since my ratio was high. High meaning my blood was too thin. I will need to do one in a week. I will try to do it on Wed so the results can be gotten back to the doctor on a non-holiday. At least that is my plan.

So after that we loaded up and went to Oxford which is about 40 miles away. It was a fun trip because Gwen and I had fun trying to communicate about the navigation in Oxford and all the roundabouts. At one point we are driving in Oxford proper and Elizabeth has been asleep. We pull up to a light and are waiting for it to change to orange then green (yes they use a christmas race track like light signal to get you going.) We are looking around the street and notice a bakery called Queen's Bakery. Just at that moment Elizabeth wakes up and without missing a beat points at the bakery and says, "I want to eat there." Which sends up laughing since she seems to always be hungry lately then the first words out of her mouth upon waking up is that she is hungry. :)

We finally drive thru the city center which turns out to be off limits to private cars during daytime hours but since we did not know this then we were driving right thru it. We finally find a parking lot to pull into and started walking back to the center. Gwen finds the Christ Church College Memorial Lawn which part of Oxford University and we proceed to walk thru it. We find the entrance for visitors in the old College and pay admittance and starting taking a self tour of the school. Of course we find the College shop almost immediately and get a few postcards and a spoon for Emily. Then on to the Christ Church Cathedral where we saw an old and beautiful church. Turns out that John Wesley (Methodist) was ordained in this Cathedral. After looking around a good bit we headed out for more stuff to see.

We went to the Great Hall (dining hall). They advertised that it was the hall where Harry Potter sat under the hat to find out his fate but when talking to the guy who was stationed there that they wanted to film it there but one of the restrictions to do so was that they could not interrupt the school which means no interrupting the meals of the students. So they went off and built a set that looked just like it for six million dollars (pounds I forget.) It was big and long and had the long tables set for dinner. There were alot of portrait on the wall of folks who had attended the College. One was Lewis Carroll and another was William Penn. I found William Pitt also.

Then we found our way back to the car and headed home. This was around five o'clock and we battled busy roundabouts again on our way home. Stopped at McD on the way into Reading for food for the kids. April and Steve had some nice Indian food ready for us to eat too. It was yummy. I do enjoy Indian food which I have not had since leaving Lubbock back in 1994 when we visited an Indian restaurant in Lubbock. When we moved to Santa Fe I was told that it had one of the best Indian food restaurants in the country. I guess the Nolen's and myself..maybe Gwen will have to visit it now.

Well it is late and we need to head to bed.

No comments: